This list will remain organic and growing.
Old rules edited for clarity.
New rules added for substance.
Feel free to offer a few your own “being human” rules in the comments below!
- Audiences feel the silences as much as the soliloquies. Less is more. Shut the fuck up when you’ve said enough. Stop repeating yourself. Everyone gets it the first time.
- Set active, accountable and achievable goals. Don’t place the bar so high you’ll never get over it. Incremental wins matter. A lot. Be agile to stay courageous and bold.
- Don’t expect people to guess what you need. Speak clearly with grace, humor and veracity. Be open and vulnerable. It will be rewarded with understanding.
- Limit exterior distractions – phone, social media, television, whatever. Be present in the now. Appreciate and cherish each moment before it vanishes.
- No more crushing friends and family under the weight of your awakening. This is your chaos to bear. No complaining. Turn to.
- Not every thought is worth broadcasting to the world or even those closest to you. Be deliberate. Be humble. Be kind.
- No more projecting imagination and recrimination on a future that will never be or a past that can’t be changed. Live for today. Hope for tomorrow. Forgive yesterday.
- Rinse and repeat until you are fully human. Buckle-up, buttercup. It’s going to be a long and bumpy ride.